This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Link tests after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES
- From: Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1 at t-online dot de>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Jie Zhang <jzhang918 at gmail dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:22:34 +0100
- Subject: Re: Link tests after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES
- References: <46EFBCC1.email@example.com> <46EFC383.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46EFC9E9.email@example.com> <46EFCEF9.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46EFCF7A.email@example.com> <46EFD236.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46EFDA4D.email@example.com> <474C0C52.firstname.lastname@example.org> <474C8FA4.email@example.com> <474C95BA.firstname.lastname@example.org> <474C96C1.email@example.com>
Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> Bernd Schmidt wrote:
>>>> If -mfdpic doesn't make sense for Blackfin, shouldn't it just be an
>>>> error? Why accept it, but make it imply the simulator?
>>> Because all the target libraries fail to build if the configure tests
>>> don't link.
>> But why isn't that a problem with the target libraries or the way in
>> which GCC is being configured? Why don't we have that problem for MIPS
>> or Power, given that they don't link with a target board by default either?
That's not something I can answer, being unfamiliar with both targets.
Maybe they don't build/need a default multilib for "no particular target"?
>> I'm not trying to be rhetorical. I just want to understand what's going
>> on here because it sounded to me from your patch like we were making the
>> compiler accept options that don't make sense in order to work around
>> some problem -- and maybe that problem is what should really be solved.
We have two uses for the bfin-elf compiler - building standalone
applications, and bootstrapping uClibc for
bfin-uclinux/bfin-linux-uclibc. For the latter, we need -mfdpic and
-mid-shared-library multilibs, to at least get a libgcc. This always
worked since what is now "-msim" was default behaviour, but it started
to fail the libstdc++ configury once Jie changed that to use
target-specific linker scripts.
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6 80807 Muenchen
Sitz der Gesellschaft Muenchen, Registergericht Muenchen HRB 40368
Geschaeftsfuehrer Thomas Wessel, William A. Martin, Margaret Seif