This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Fix PR tree-optimization/32589
- From: "Richard Guenther" <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: "Eric Botcazou" <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:34:56 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix PR tree-optimization/32589
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 7/10/07, Eric Botcazou <email@example.com> wrote:
This is the Ada bootstrap failure on 32-bit platforms, see
To recap, FRE may create non-GIMPLE expressions that are nevertheless accepted
by the predicates in tree-gimple.c, so they cannot be re-gimplified later by
the existing mechanisms.
As suggested by Diego, a first approach would be to create is_gimple_const and
use it instead of is_gimple_[min_]invariant when it makes sense to do so.
The problem, as I found out when trying to implement it, is the last part of
the previous sentence: IMHO it is not clear at all when is_gimple_const
should be used instead of is_gimple_[min_]invariant in the tree optimizers.
I don't have the big picture here so I cannot really formulate anything.
The second approach is described in passes.c:
/* Note that the folders should only create gimple expressions.
This is a hack until the new folder is ready. */
in_gimple_form = (cfun && (cfun->curr_properties & PROP_trees)) != 0;
and is of course much more straightforward, hence the proposed patch.
Bootstrapped/regtested on i586-suse-linux, but the Ada library cannot be built
because of another problem in tree-ssa-sccvn.c (PR tree-opt/32713).
OK for mainline?
I think this is the wrong approach. Instead restricting what we accept as
is_gimple_min_invariant should be fixed. Or FRE should do what other
passes do and use set_rhs () to verify if the resulting trees are sufficiently
gimple (I realize it tries to just re-gimplify, but that doesn't work
as the gimplifier
is using the (broken) is_gimple_min_invariant predicate as well).
What happens if you restrict is_gimple_min_invariant like with
--- tree-gimple.c (revision 126488)
+++ tree-gimple.c (working copy)
@@ -175,7 +175,8 @@ is_gimple_min_invariant (tree t)
switch (TREE_CODE (t))
- return TREE_INVARIANT (t);
+ return (is_gimple_id (TREE_OPERAND (t, 0))
+ && TREE_INVARIANT (t));
this should still allow the interesting cases.
2007-07-10 Eric Botcazou <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Makefile.in (fold-const.o): Add dependency on TREE_GIMPLE_H.
* fold-const.c: Include tree-gimple.h.
(try_move_mult_to_index): If in GIMPLE form, do not synthesize
* tree-gimple.c (is_gimple_min_invariant): Clarify head comment.
* doc/tree-ssa.texi (Rough GIMPLE Grammar): Add missing rule.