This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: non-local goto optimization
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr>
- To: Roman Zippel <zippel at linux-m68k dot org>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Nathan Sidwell <nathan at codesourcery dot com>, rth at redhat dot com, hpenner at de dot ibm dot com, uweigand at de dot ibm dot com, law at redhat dot com, schwab at suse dot de, aoliva at redhat dot com, kkojima at gcc dot gnu dot org, nickc at redhat dot com, richard dot earnshaw at arm dot com, paul at codesourcery dot com, hp at bitrange dot com
- Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:50:36 +0200
- Subject: Re: non-local goto optimization
- References: <462C6A54.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
> 200x-xx-xx Roman Zippel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> * function.h (struct function): Rename calls_unwind_init
> to saves_all_register.
> (current_function_saves_all_register): Renamed from
> * reload1.c (reload): Set current_function_saves_all_register.
> * except.c (expand_builtin_unwind_init): Likewise.
This is OK *only* if you add the missing 's' to saves_all_register. :-)
> * config/i386/i386.c (ix86_save_reg): Use
> current_function_saves_all_register to save pic register.
> * config/m68k/m68k.c (m68k_save_reg): Likewise.
I cannot approve this.
Architecture maintainers CCed, your back-end tests the flag
This flag used to instruct the middle-end to mark all call-saved registers as
"ever live" and thus to force them to be saved and restored by the back-end.
Thanks to Nathan's work, the middle-end is now more clever and doesn't always
mark them if this flag is set; instead, it will think a little more and set
an additional flag
if it will eventually mark them.
In order to implement this, current_function_has_nonlocal_label is set in
exactly 1 less occasion than it used to, in expand_builtin_unwind_init.
Instead current_function_saves_all_registers is set there.
Therefore, the conservatively correct change is very likely to test
current_function_has_nonlocal_label || current_function_saves_all_registers
in your back-end. However, your back-end could further benefit from Nathan's
work by substituting the latter flag for the former in the test(s).
Thanks for your attention. :-)