This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Improve PR29433, don't duplicate identifier names in dwarf2out
- From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Richard Guenther <rguenther at suse dot de>
- Cc: Mike Stump <mrs at apple dot com>, Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:39:45 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Improve PR29433, don't duplicate identifier names in dwarf2out
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com> <456FD67B.firstname.lastname@example.org> <6D0CB5FA-C91A-4259-98B4-04EA5DA245B8@apple.com> <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Mike Stump wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 2006, at 11:15 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>>>>>> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 17:18 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
>>>>>>> This patch changes dwarf2out.c to not duplicate the strings in
>>> This patch is OK, thanks!
>> The dwarf2 changes I think are safe enough to consider for 4.2, Richard, if
>> you agree, I'd be nice to put them in 4.2 as well.
> I agree in principle - but this isn't a regression, so ...
> Mark, is this ok for 4.2 as well?
I think that to put this on 4.2, we need a little bit of rigor: measure
something and show that it uses some significant amount less memory.
We've historically put compile-time improvements on release branches if
they seemed safe, and this qualifies. So, let's just prove it actually
does something useful, which we certainly expect, and then it's OK.
(650) 331-3385 x713