This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Introduce abi_word_mode
- From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at physics dot uc dot edu>
- To: mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell)
- Cc: uweigand at de dot ibm dot com (Ulrich Weigand), iant at google dot com (Ian Lance Taylor), geoffk at apple dot com (Geoffrey Keating), Andreas dot Krebbel at de dot ibm dot com (Andreas Krebbel), gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:56:20 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Introduce abi_word_mode
> > What do you think of my current proposal as outlined in my replies to
> > Richard and Ian?
> Frankly, I think it adds more complexity where we should have less. I'd
> rather we move away from this feature entirely than that we introduce
If we going to move away from mode(word), then this will help out the
SPU port. Which right now, the word_mode is TImode but the target is
really a 32bit target (the natural word size is still 32bits)
with 128bit registers and can support the full TImode. But using TImode
is unnatural and has to be emulated via libcalls and extra instructions.