This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] add -foverride-comp-dir
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Geoffrey Keating <geoffk at apple dot com>
- Cc: Dan Aloni <da-x at monatomic dot org>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:38:19 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] add -foverride-comp-dir
- References: <20060926135209.GA3599@localdomain> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:25:32AM -0700, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
> Dan Aloni <email@example.com> writes:
> > Hello,
> > The following patch adds a new switch to gcc that allows to override
> > the DW_AT_comp_dir DWARF2 attribute. The reason why I need this change
> > is that one of our project's build system is using content-hashing in
> > order to save build and compilation time among several developers that
> > are working on that project.
> > When debug information is used, we need to make sure that that the
> > result binaries are identical if compiled from the same source between
> > several developers working from different directories, and also to be
> > able to look at core files from gdb with proper (i.e. path-relative)
> > source code lookup. By simply passing -foverride-comp-dir=. to gcc
> > after this feature is patched in, we are able to achieve our goals.
> Would it be better to simply have a -fno-comp-dir flag, to omit this
> information entirely from the DWARF output?
A related FYI: While it won't help with the content-hashing, the GDB
side of this is addressed by the recently added substitution commands