This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Making your branches smaller for easier merges
- From: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at redhat dot com>
- To: Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin dot org>
- Cc: gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:45:03 -0400
- Subject: Re: Making your branches smaller for easier merges
- References: <email@example.com>
Daniel Berlin wrote on 09/27/06 16:37:
> If you are just writing a new pass, you can probably get away with
> branching only a few files, and switching those may be a lot better
> strategy than branching the entire trunk tree branch to modify 6 files
> in the gcc dir.
But this means that I'm at the mercy of mainline random breakage, right?
Most of the time I would rather do controlled merges when I know
mainline is in a usable state.