This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Passing MIPS debug hints between gcc and gdb
- From: Fred Fish <fnf at specifix dot com>
- To: Richard Sandiford <richard at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:17:01 -0400
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Passing MIPS debug hints between gcc and gdb
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: fnf at specifix dot com
On Thursday 11 May 2006 02:57, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> You're right: the size of everything is determined by the combination of
> the ABI "name" and long size. The gdb patch I mentioned did do that IIRC.
> (I didn't write that patch myself, and my memory's hazy.) It was certainly
> the intention that gdb work this out for itself.
OK. I can generate a patch that does that.
> Using empty sections was always a hack, to be honest (modelled on the
> old .gcc_compiled_v3 thing, whatever it was called). I suppose we
> should be using note sections really.
Yeah, I thought about putting the hints in a single section that could
have it's contents merged by the linker and duplicates removed.
> I'd be OK with relaxing the condition to EABI || o64 if it's o64 you
> need this for.
Yes, it is o64 where I originally found the problem.
> I suppose we should make the incorrect -mlong* option an error for
> other ABIs. (Another one for the TODO list.)
OK, though it seemed to work fine with at least one other ABI (-mabi=32).
I didn't test them all.