This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] Replacing tree level profiling by RTL level and disablingold loop when profiling for 4.1
- From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:11:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Replacing tree level profiling by RTL level and disablingold loop when profiling for 4.1
- References: <20050716122927.GP12335@kam.mff.cuni.cz>
Jan Hubicka wrote:
currently the RTL based profiling is in very poor shape.
I have no objection to switching the default to be tree-based profiling,
rather than RTL-based profiling. However, I think it would be much
better if you would also remove all the RTL-based profiling code at that
time, and, if you have not already, make the command-line interface
previously used for RTL-based profiling work automatically for RTL-based
You've said that RTL-based profiling is badly broken and will never be
fixed. If so, then leaving it in the compiler is not only giving users
a loaded gun, with which they can shoot themselves in their own feet --
it's giving them a gun that can only be used to commit masochastic podiatry.