This is the mail archive of the gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Moving to an alternate VCS


On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 18:16 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Mike Stump wrote:
> 
> > On Feb 2, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > > Therefore, I believe we should seriously start considering and talking about
> > > a migration path to a version control system we can work with in the next
> > > year.
> > 
> > To be concrete, how about one week after 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 is released?  We don't
> > want it just after 4.0.0, as we should have a small influx of bugs that we'll
> > want to spend time on instead of playing with the infrastructure.  Post 4.1
> > doesn't seem to offer any advantages that I know about, are there any that
> > people can think of?
> 
> Is there a need to delay until after 4.0.0 if it seems to be ready before 
> then?
> 

I hope to have a converted repo sometime next week, i'm just looking for
somewhere to put it with decent bandwidth.  Sources already has enough
load at the moment that it's not approriate to put it there (at least in
conjunction with cvs).  At least, not until new machines are ready.

As for the rest:

> 
> As I understand it the conversion procedure would be something like, after 
> suitable testing with trial conversions so people can see how svn works 
> for them:

Right.

> 
> * Ensure updates to scripts, web pages, etc. are ready to go in once the 
> conversion is done.
> 
> * Put up a conversion status web page (e.g. svn.html, which would later 
> become the equivalent of cvs.html).
> 
> * Check in a file README-MOVED-FROM-CVS-TO-SVN or similar in the toplevel 
> source directory, which explains the conversion and points to that page, 
> so people updating old checkouts get a good idea of why they no longer 
> relate to current development.
> 
> * Stop all write access to the repository.  Put a tarball in 
> old-releases/old-cvs on the FTP site alongside the old GCC2, libgcj and 
> libstdc++ repositories.  Keep the repository available read-only 
> permanently afterwards so old cvsweb URLs continue to work and people can 
> still diff old CVS trees with development work in them.
> 
> * Run the final conversion (a rather time-consuming step).  Put the 
> results up with write access.  Check in the prepared updates to scripts 
> and web pages and make sure that the website has updated OK.  If 
> applicable, ensure savannah has rsynced the new repository.  Send 
> announcement to gcc and gcc-announce lists.

Yep, this is more or less the plan i've got in mind.

Whether this happens before 4.0.0 is ready to release depends on a lot
of factors.  I was just being conservative when i said we should wait
till after 4.0 if we've decided to go ahead with the conversion.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]