This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Fix a fallout of PR14179 fix (3.3/3.4/4.0 regression)
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- To: jakub at redhat dot com
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 29 Dec 04 11:35:55 EST
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix a fallout of PR14179 fix (3.3/3.4/4.0 regression)
One simply kills all special handling of sizetype in force_fit_type
(thus effectively undoing part of the
change). There were no testcases for that though, so I can't guess
what was the reason for the patch.
It's kind of hard to have a testcase in C, since it's well into
undefined territory there. In Ada, there's a desire to more rigourously
detect overflows, which was the immediate motivation, but even there
it's sort of a gray area because we don't detect size computations that
overflow at run time. So it's more of trying to do the right thing in
more cases (in all languages) than some specific functionality.