This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Some middle-end improvements for bitfield handling
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- To: bosch at gnat dot com
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 30 Jun 04 09:55:52 EDT
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Some middle-end improvements for bitfield handling
I don't think so, at least it shouldn't be done before optimizations
such as SRA, which are extremely useful for records with bitfields.
Agreed, but note that the original SRA disallowed optimizing fields
that were bitfields, though the reason given didn't make sense to me.
I haven't looked at whether RTH's new version does that as well
We may want to lower bitfields in some cases, for example if
the vectorizer determines that accesses in a loop can be vectorized.
I don't follow. How could it do that for fields that were not arrays?
We don't currently support arrays of bitfields.