This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFC: Allow GPL exception for dynamic linking of libgcc and libstdc++
- From: "Aaron W. LaFramboise" <aaronavay62 at aaronwl dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:03:02 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFC: Allow GPL exception for dynamic linking of libgcc and libstdc++
- References: <10406260156.AA15454@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
Richard Kenner wrote:
> Following any comments with regard to these changes, if the general
> concensus seems to be that this is an improvement, I'd like to propose
> this to the SC for consideration.
> It's not the SC's decision, but the FSF's decision. The FSF, not the SC,
> owns the copyright to the files.
> I'd suggest you take this up with the FSF. My own feeling is that
> "executable" includes "shared library" from a practical point of view and
> it's not worth fiddling with this language. But it couldn't hurt to ask.
Well, if the SC decides this is a good idea, they could propose this to
the FSF on my behalf. I think it would be best if the SC agreed with
the change before the FSF were asked to consider it. Besides, I don't
know how to approach the FSF with issues such as this.
I think the fiddling is necessary because most people are telling me
that presently the GPL *does* apply to dynamically linked libgcc and
Aaron W. LaFramboise