This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Patch to allow Ada to work with tree-ssa
- From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at physics dot uc dot edu>
- To: mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell)
- Cc: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner), gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:01:14 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Patch to allow Ada to work with tree-ssa
> I don't agree.
> In particular, you've just added an extra entry to ARRAY_REF and
> COMPONENT_REF, making these two common tree nodes bigger.
> (COMPONENT_REF, in particular, is used extensively in C++; every access
> to a class member variable is a COMPONENT_REF.) These extra entries are
> unnecessary in C and C++, meaning that for GCC's two most-used languages
> you've just increased memory usage with no benefit. If you need some
> additional stuff for Ada, please find a way that doesn't penalize C and C++.
In fact I had a patch for tree-unnested to get rid of the impliciant uses
for OFFSET, see <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-05/msg00373.html>
Which fixed the problem a different way.