This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC PATCH] Decreasing the size of .opd on ppc64
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:18:02 +0930
- Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] Decreasing the size of .opd on ppc64
- References: <20040610120758.GE21264@devserv.devel.redhat.com>
On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:07:58AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> I think we can squeeze .opd by 33% by overlapping the aux field
> of .opd entries with the func field of the next .opd entry.
This will require some linker changes first, as the linker "knows" that
.opd is a regular array of 24 byte entries. See ppc64_elf_edit_opd and
> Another thing to consider would be not emitting .opd entry at all
> for !TREE_PUBLIC functions whose addresses aren't taken.
I intend to do this in the linker, which is where this sort of
optimization belongs. We can throw away many more entries than we
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre