This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC Status Report (2004-03-09)
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- To: mark at codesourcery dot com
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 31 Mar 04 12:41:52 EST
- Subject: Re: GCC Status Report (2004-03-09)
I've been suggesting things, and you've been implementing them, and then
not liking them for a couple of weeks now.
Somehow, we've got to get a fix into the compiler.
What do you suggest?
I have a suggestion, one that I think I made before:
There are two separate cases.
For the not-all-field-specified case, we *have* to do the clearing, but it's
relatively uncommon. So if TARGET is /u, make a new temporary, do the store
into it in the usual manner, and copy it into the /u TARGET.
In the other cases (mostly_zero), the clearing is an *optimization*. So
suppress it for the /u TARGET.