This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch] Record REG_POINTER in more cases
- From: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- To: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: roger at eyesopen dot com, rakdver at atrey dot karlin dot mff dot cuni dot cz
- Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:33:28 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: [patch] Record REG_POINTER in more cases
> This is OK for mainline.
> I've heard complaints that the middle-end should be doing a better job
> of preserving/propagating REG_POINTER, so any further follow-up patches
> would be very much appreciated.
I'm probably the bad guy as preserving/propagating REG_POINTER is
very important on the PA because the base register in index instructions
has to be in the right space.
There are places in jump.c, gcse.c, loop.c, ... where REG_POINTER is
lost when copies of REG rtx's are made to pull insn's out of loops etc.
I submitted a patch sometime ago to fix some of these areas. However,
it wasn't approved and I came up with a hack for the backend that
fixes the REG_POINTER flag in many situations.
J. David Anglin email@example.com
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)