This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Fix zone garbage collector to support PCH
- From: Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at wasabisystems dot com>
- Cc: dberlin at dberlin dot org, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 04 Mar 2004 00:22:36 -0800
- Subject: Re: Fix zone garbage collector to support PCH
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Ian Lance Taylor <email@example.com> writes:
> I don't know why ggc-page.c bothers to page align the file pointer.
> The file is just being used for fread() and fwrite() of sizes which
> appear to normally be less than a page. I can't see why aligning the
> file pointer provides any benefit, and it obviously makes the
> resulting PCH file a bit larger. However, I didn't try to change
I believe it's to make mmap work better. It certainly makes it more
efficient, I'm not sure if there aren't platforms where mmap doesn't
work at all if you don't do this.
- Geoffrey Keating <firstname.lastname@example.org>