This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] New Optimization: Partitioning hot & cold basic blocks
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- To: Caroline Tice <ctice at apple dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:11:43 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] New Optimization: Partitioning hot & cold basic blocks
- References: <7CBD1A2E-F9C4-11D7-A34B-000393BB90B6@apple.com>
Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but how do you handle branches
between the hot and cold sections? Most targets don't have
and conditional branche that can span arbitrary distances, directly
or indirectly. Similarly, direct branches may need to be turned into
indirect branches in order to reach.
I'd also like to see changes to dwarf2 output so that this split is
properly represented in the debug info. Given that this feature is
not enabled except via explicit switch, this isn't imperitive, but
it should be done once this patch is accepted.