This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
PATCH for Re: Today's snapshot
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Cc: Ranjit Mathew <rmathew at hotmail dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org,gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:23:54 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: PATCH for Re: Today's snapshot
- References: <Pine.BSF.firstname.lastname@example.org><3ED2EE41.email@example.com> <Pine.BSF.firstname.lastname@example.org><Pine.LNX.email@example.com><Pine.BSF.firstname.lastname@example.org><Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
On Wed, 28 May 2003, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> But that's not the file to patch: it's snapshot-README and
> snapshot-index.html in CVS that are to be patched, not the generated
> files on the FTP site.
Sheesh, I forget that you cleaned that up. :-(
2003-05-28 Gerald Pfeifer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* snapshot-README: Refer to .bz2 files instead of .gz files.
Add a note on where to find the diff files.
Simplify the note on not using unannounced snapshots.
Remove documentation of the gcc_latest_snapshot tag.
RCS file: /cvs/gcc/gcc/maintainer-scripts/snapshot-README,v
retrieving revision 1.7
diff -u -3 -p -r1.7 snapshot-README
--- snapshot-README 16 Dec 2002 22:18:33 -0000 1.7
+++ snapshot-README 28 May 2003 11:22:05 -0000
@@ -6,36 +6,26 @@ This snapshot has been generated from th
- gcc-@DATE@.tar.gz The full gcc snapshot, including all
+ gcc-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The full gcc snapshot, including all
languages runtime libraries.
- gcc-core-@DATE@.tar.gz Just the C front end and core compiler.
+ gcc-core-@DATE@.tar.bz2 Just the C front end and core compiler.
- gcc-testsuite-@DATE@.tar.gz The GCC testsuite.
+ gcc-testsuite-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The GCC testsuite.
- gcc-ada-@DATE@.tar.gz The Ada language and runtime.
+ gcc-ada-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The Ada language and runtime.
- gcc-g++-@DATE@.tar.gz The g++ language and runtime.
+ gcc-g++-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The g++ language and runtime.
- gcc-g77-@DATE@.tar.gz The g77 language and runtime.
+ gcc-g77-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The g77 language and runtime.
- gcc-objc-@DATE@.tar.gz The Objective-C front end and runtime.
+ gcc-objc-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The Objective-C front end and runtime.
- gcc-java-@DATE@.tar.gz The Java front end.
+ gcc-java-@DATE@.tar.bz2 The Java front end.
-Diffs from @LAST_DATE@ are available.
+Diffs from @LAST_DATE@ are available in the diffs/ subdirectory.
-Note at times you may find newer directories on the server with limited
-permissions. These represent snapshots that have not yet been verified
-as correct, or are known to be incorrect.
-When a particular snapshot is ready for public consumption the directory
-permissions are relaxed, the LATEST-IS- file is updated and a message is
-sent to the gcc list.
-Using a snapshot before it's officially made available is an unwise thing
-to do since it may become impossible to update to an official snapshot.
-The "gcc_latest_snapshot" tag has been moved. You can use
-cvs update -rgcc_latest_snapshot to update your CVS tree to the latest
+When a particular snapshot is ready for public consumption the LATEST-IS-
+file is updated and a message is sent to the gcc list. Please do not use
+a snapshot before it has been announced that way.