This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: speedup collect2 (by not using it)
- From: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- To: austern at apple dot com (Matt Austern)
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, law at redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:19:23 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: speedup collect2 (by not using it)
> But in any case, isn't this a bit tangential to the question Mike
> asked? He asked what happens on systems where USE_COLLECT2
> *isn't* defined, and you're talking about systems where it is (or at
> was) defined.
Actually, I think that Mike's patch won't work on hppa64-hp-hpux11*.
It appears that gcc falls back to just using "ld" when it doesn't
run collect2. This will fail because we have multiple linkers
and at least two supported linkers for the hppa64 port itself.
Thus, gcc will need to use the same linker selection mechanism
as collect2 in determining which linker to run.
J. David Anglin firstname.lastname@example.org
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)