This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Document PR bootstrap/10805
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- To: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:23:31 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document PR bootstrap/10805
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> GCC 3.3 can't bootstrap on some Solaris 2.7 systems with 32-bit/64-bit
> support because of a bug in an Alpha build of the Sun assembler.
Reading this patch confused me a bit, due to reasons that aren't really
your fault, but which we might try to avoid nevertheless:
+GCC 3.3 triggers a bug in a 5.0 Alpha build of the assembler, specifically
+the 5.0 Alpha 03/27/98 build, which causes a bootstrap failure when linking
+the 64-bit version of libgcc. A typical error message is:
Confusion 1: "Alpha build? It thought this was about Solaris (SPARC), not
Confusion: "Why are we trying to build the assembler when compiling GCC?"
Perhaps something like
GCC 3.3 triggers a bug in version 5.0 Alpha 03/27/98 of Sun's
assembler, which causes a bootstrap failure...
would be better for naive users like me?
> Tested with 'make doc'. Ok for mainline and 3.3?
Apart from this, the patch looks fine.
Gerald "Jerry" email@example.com http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/