This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFA/C] Break out C options into a separate file
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>
- Cc: Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya dot co dot uk>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:47:10 +0100 (BST)
- Subject: Re: [RFA/C] Break out C options into a separate file
- References: <20030520221643.GB32072@daikokuya.co.uk> <email@example.com>
On Wed, 20 May 2003, Geoff Keating wrote:
> 1. Please please put the '--help' output in the file with the options, if
> at all possible. (In fact, it'd be pretty cool if the documentation could
> go there too, because that way adding an extra option would require
> changing only one place.)
It can never require changing only one place - you need to implement what
the option is meant to do as well. All generated Texinfo docs still need
to be checked into CVS (e.g. f/intdoc.texi, gnat_ug_*.texi) for use in
onlinedocs generation (so that doesn't require configuring and building
the compiler). Where one file contains both documentation for the manual
and code for the compiler, it probably also needs GPL/GFDL dual licensing.
(And you need appropriate coding to get the options in the right order in
the output Texinfo file.) But it would be good if it were impossible to
have an option supported at all without nonempty Texinfo documentation.
Joseph S. Myers