This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: small varasm.c improvements
- From: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:16:44 -0700
- Subject: Re: small varasm.c improvements
- References: <200305130201.WAA27960@makai.watson.ibm.com>
David Edelsohn <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> I believe the issue is that we've swapped the special pool entry
> for the original symbol, so there is nothing to prevent the original
> symbol from possibly being deleted because the special pool entry has been
> substituted everywhere. The USE makes sure that the symbol being
> referenced by the pool is not itself deleted. Geoff may have some ideas
> about whether this is fixable, or maybe we just XFAIL it on rs6000 port.
The special pool entry contains a reference to the original symbol -
so at least in principle I think the compiler should be able to know
not to delete LC..8 as long as LC..9 is live.