This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Fix handling of call clobbering readonly-result
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: hainque at act-europe dot fr, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:09:23 -0700
- Subject: Re: Fix handling of call clobbering readonly-result
- References: <10305091158.AA14184@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:58:18AM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> Why are we allowing code in GCC that has no comments in front of functions
> that say what they do? This is a really serious problem and one that I think
> the SC needs to address. Increasingly-large parts of GCC are completely
> unmaintainable due to this lack of documentation.
We can do things: assure that it doesn't get worse, and try to get
documentation for the missing pieces.
First, let's not let it get worse: no more CVS commits that add an
undocumented function. This is not a hard standard to enforce.
Second, we have CVS history. It shouldn't be hard to track down those
who created undocumented functions recently and ask those folks to
contribute some documentation. The longer we wait, the harder it will be.
Third, Richard, I really wish you had a mailer that created proper
References or In-Reply-To headers. Big threads that you participate in are
extremely difficult to follow, as it's not possible to determine who you
are replying to.