This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: mips: omit initialization of $gp and stack allocation when possible
- From: Richard Sandiford <rsandifo at redhat dot com>
- To: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 07 May 2003 20:50:02 +0100
- Subject: Re: mips: omit initialization of $gp and stack allocation when possible
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org>
Alexandre Oliva <email@example.com> writes:
> This is an updated version of the patch, such that it applies cleanly
> after the merged from mips-rewrite-branch. No changes other than
> patch context.
Sorry Alex, feel like I'm giving you a really hard time today ;(.
But it is worth having mips_rtx_may_use_gp_p now that every use
of $gp is explicit? Couldn't you just rely on regs_ever_live
and disable the optimisation if !TARGET_EXPLICIT_RELOCS?
> Tested by bootstrapping on mips-sgi-irix6.5 with
> native as and ld, and mips-sgi-irix6.5o32 with GNU as (for some reason
> the native as didn't seem to like some %got expressions introduced
> with the rewrite when assembling for -32).
Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up. I guess configure was testing the n32
assembler rather than the o32 one. I'll try to come up with something.