This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Kill the deferred string table
- From: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 18:16:37 -0700
- Subject: Re: Kill the deferred string table
- References: <email@example.com><Pine.BSF.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Gerald Pfeifer <email@example.com> writes:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> As suggested earlier, this patch eliminates the deferred string table;
>> instead, I set SYMBOL_REF_DECL for constants to point to the tree for
>> that constant, which allows mark_constant to do the right thing with
>> STRING_POOL_ADDRESS_P constants.
>> At -O2 both function calls are eliminated, and so is the string
> Zack, would this warrant mention in gcc-3.4/changes.html (and if so,
> would you mind adding something)?
Umm, this change should have had absolutely no user-visible effect; I
just modified the way varasm.c handles deferred strings.
I am even as we speak testing a patch to extend this functionality to
all sorts of constant; that *will* be worth a changes.html note when