This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PowerPC PIC code addressibility tweak
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- To: Segher Boessenkool <segher at koffie dot nl>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:26:04 -0500
- Subject: Re: PowerPC PIC code addressibility tweak
>>>>> Segher Boessenkool writes:
Segher> What document did you take this from? I could only find this in the
Segher> Book E and in the 7450 UM, but both specifically say this is special
Segher> cased only for
Segher> bcl 20,31,$+4
Segher> so your second patch won't help (as it uses $+8 instead).
The recommendation is in the PowerPC Microprocessor Family
Programming Environments book. The example is for $+4, but the effect is
not pushing the link register stack. At worst, the new instruction is no
worse than the former one.