This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] New gcov format
- From: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>
- To: Nathan Sidwell <nathan at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, mark at codesourcery dot com, jh at suse dot cz
- Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:21:14 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] New gcov format
- References: <3D7BCAAD.firstname.lastname@example.org>
> this patch replaces the existing gcov files (.bbg, .bb & .da) with a new
> robust & extensible format. The format is specified in the gcov-io.h
> file, which I've attached in its entirety.
> Now the compiler produces just a .bbg file and the runtime produces
> the .da file. The new format is based on tagged records with explicit
> lengths. They also have magic and version information. The program
> and object summaries are augmented to retain the number of merged
> runs, the maximum counter and the sum of individual maxima. We also
> keep track of separate program summaries for the same object file
> included in several executables (this happens when instrumenting gcc).
This looks really well. I unforutnately won:t have time to take a look
at it in more detail till end of september I guess, but it is defnitly
step in right direction. Thanks a lot for that!