This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] PowerPC select_section / unique_section
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>, Franz Sirl <Franz dot Sirl-kernel at lauterbach dot com>, Geoff Keating <geoffk at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:43:18 +0930
- Subject: Re: [RFC] PowerPC select_section / unique_section
- References: <email@example.com> <200209022351.TAA22840@makai.watson.ibm.com>
On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 07:51:07PM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> Alan> We (linux people) need a flag to say "build for a shared library".
> You have not justified this statement.
Note "global functions may be overridden". A silly example, but gcc
cannot optimize the calls to foo in the following if this code appears
in an ELF shared library, as the actual foo called might do something
completely different, like open an emacs window.
int foo (void)
int bar (void)
return foo () + foo ();
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre