This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RFC] PowerPC select_section / unique_section
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>, Franz Sirl <Franz dot Sirl-kernel at lauterbach dot com>, Geoff Keating <geoffk at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:02:33 +0930
- Subject: Re: [RFC] PowerPC select_section / unique_section
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200209022240.SAA24074@makai.watson.ibm.com>
You can simply allow -fpic to be accepted by ppc64 gcc, and qualify
all the occurrences of flag_pic in rs6000/* with a test on
DEFAULT_ABI. No special private functions, no modifications to
varasm.c, and as a bonus, a reduction in the size of rs6000.o.
We (linux people) need a flag to say "build for a shared library".
Too many packages use -fpic for this purpose to warrant choosing
some other flag for PowerPC64.
As I said before, I have a patch that does this but David curtly
told me, without explanation, "Don't bother" posting it.
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre