This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: inlining default
- From: Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya dot demon dot co dot uk>
- To: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:59:51 +0000
- Subject: Re: inlining default
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Mark Mitchell wrote:-
> --On Wednesday, December 12, 2001 02:00:03 PM +0000 Jason Merrill
> <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> >It seems that Neil's 2001-11-15 changes to option parsing had a side
> >effect of turning on tree inlining at -O0 for C and C++ unless suppressed
> >with -fno-inline, because we now set flag_tree_inline from flag_no_inline
> >before setting flag_no_inline from optimize. Is this what we want? I
> >would prefer to leave it off by default with -O0, but many compilers turn
> >it on unless specifically disabled. What do other people think?
> I think we should leave it off at -O0. I can't see a compelling
> reason to change our historical practice.
I think this inadvertant semantic change is cured by the patch below.
Let me know if you want me to bootstrap, test and apply it.
* toplev.c (process_options, parse_options_and_default_flags):
Set flag_no_inline before the post_options hook.
RCS file: /cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/toplev.c,v
retrieving revision 1.555
diff -u -p -r1.555 toplev.c
--- toplev.c 2001/12/12 22:50:03 1.555
+++ toplev.c 2001/12/13 07:55:55
@@ -4754,15 +4754,11 @@ parse_options_and_default_flags (argc, a
- /* All command line options have been parsed; allow the front end to
- perform consistency checks, etc. */
- (*lang_hooks.post_options) ();
-/* Process the options that have been parsed. */
+ /* Set flag_no_inline before the post_options () hook. The C front
+ ends use it to determine tree inlining defaults. FIXME: such
+ code should be lang-independent when all front ends use tree
+ inlining, in which case it, and this condition, should be moved
+ to the top of process_options() instead. */
if (optimize == 0)
/* Inlining does not work if not optimizing,
@@ -4777,6 +4773,15 @@ process_options ()
warning ("-Wuninitialized is not supported without -O");
+ /* All command line options have been parsed; allow the front end to
+ perform consistency checks, etc. */
+ (*lang_hooks.post_options) ();
+/* Process the options that have been parsed. */
/* Some machines may reject certain combinations of options. */