This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] make DWARF2_DEBUG the default for ELF platforms.
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- To: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>, David O'Brien <obrien at FreeBSD dot org>,gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 02:28:44 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] make DWARF2_DEBUG the default for ELF platforms.
- References: <20011205145526.A7125@dragon.nuxi.com> <20011205224400.C9059@redhat.com>
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:44:00PM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:55:26PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > * elfos.h (PREFERRED_DEBUGGING_TYPE): Change to DWARF2_DEBUG.
> I think this is ok.
> If indeed MIPS is broken wrt dwarf2, then it should be fixed,
> but that is a separate issue. Anyhow, I thought somewhat was
> doing regular irix builds, and that always uses dwarf2...
Just the debugger side, I expect - well, it might be in how something
is now emitted, but I haven't had time to track it down.
I'd like to request that this change not go in yet. I've been working
intensely on fixing DWARF2 support in GDB over the past few weeks, and
I'm starting to make a little headway - but anyone who has tried it
lately with a recent GCC will realize that it's got a long way to go.
It's practically unusable, which means that this is not a reasonable
time to switch.
Daniel Jacobowitz Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer