This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Adding constants to LO_SUM
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Subject: Re: Adding constants to LO_SUM
- From: Geert Bosch <bosch at gnat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:47:19 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: geoffk at redhat dot com, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
This clearly deserves a comment in the code...
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Richard Kenner wrote:
I don't think STRICT_ALIGNMENT has anything to do with it.
Just to be clear, here's why it does:
The only time my latest code goes inside a LO_SUM is when the MEM has
non-BLKmode and the offset is less than the mode size of the mode.
However, unless STRICT_ALIGNMENT is zero, we guarantee that an object
of a mode is aligned to the mode boundary. Hence an addition of less
than the size of the object cannot overflow.
Perhaps I should just put a test on STRICT_ALIGNMENT there?