This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PATCH Finding gas
- To: law at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: PATCH Finding gas
- From: Alexandre Oliva <oliva at dcc dot unicamp dot br>
- Date: 04 Sep 1998 00:08:21 -0300
- Cc: Nathan Sidwell <nathan at acm dot org>, egcs-patches at cygnus dot com, Eric Schweitz <schweitz at nortel dot ca>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Jeffrey A Law <email@example.com> writes:
> In message <firstname.lastname@example.org>you write:
>> > Anybody got any clues about this? Should I hack configure to check for
>> > $LD and $AS, use them and force their full paths into the binary?
>> No! IMO, `make install' should install links to `as' and `real-ld' if
>> appropriate. What do you think?
> I would much prefer us encourage folks to install the various tools
> with the same --prefix. If they do that all this stuff will just
I dislike this approach because then I cannot upgrade binutils without
either overwriting its previous installation or installing egcs again
together with the new binutils in a separate prefix.
Perhaps `make install' should check whether `as' and/or `real-ld'
already exist in the `programs' path and, if they do not, create links
to the versions found in the PATH. We could even auto-detect GNU as
and GNU ld, instead of requiring users to specify them, and create the
appropriate links in the build directories too.
Universidade Estadual de Campinas, SP, Brasil