This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: little epilogue optimization
- To: law at cygnus dot com, Ulrich Drepper <drepper at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: little epilogue optimization
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:27:00 -0700
- Cc: egcs-patches at cygnus dot com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>
On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 01:59:26AM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> In message <firstname.lastname@example.org>you write:
> > The little patch appended adds an optimization suggested in Intel's
> > docs. Frames of size 4 or 8 should be removed using pop and not add.
> Why? Does it schedule better or something like that? Just curious.
He explained to me, while he was asking how it could be done,
that the important fact is that pop can pair with ret on the
pentia, where an add to esp cannot.