Re: building GCC - please check method, and results so far over multiple platforms

On 10/04/17 11:35, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 10:36 +0200, Toebs Douglass wrote:

> For each gcc release for which there exists a
> "contrib/download_prerequisites" script (may not apply to the very
> oldest on this list)

I looked at this back when I started working on this - more than two
months ago :-)  I don't remember now exactly what came of it, but I
think it was something like it was downloading very old versions of the
dependencies.  I expect they worked, but it seemed to me more like the
script hadn't been maintained.  I didn't trust it, at any rate.

> use that script, to download a known compatible version of all required
> libraries into a known compatible location.
>
> Then (from your build directory)
> ../wherever_my_sources_are/configure my_options
> will find and configure to build the lot.

Yes - I use this behaviour; I do nothing with the three libs except move
their sources into the GCC source tree.

> It won't use the latest and greatest version of mpfr etc for each
> compiler release, but it'll use the version that most builds of that
> release were built with, and keep you out of the weeds covering rarely
> trodden paths.

Hmm.  That is interesting.  Is it then that GCC builds *normally* use
the oldest possible working version of the dependency libraries?

Aren't they missing out on improvements in those libraries, by doing so?