This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Build Error: cannot compute suffix of object files


I am trying to build gcc-4.4 with gcc-4.2.4. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on
a VBOX. I need to use this specific Linux kernel version, so I cannot
shift to an upgraded OS.

My configure completes with an exit status of 0 but my make fails with
the message-:

checking for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc...
/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/./gcc/xgcc
-B/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/./gcc/
-B/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/
-B/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem
/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem
/home/sreyan/gcc-4.4//x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
`/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sreyan/Desktop/gcc-4.4.0/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2


My tool chain for building gcc-4.4.0 satisfies all the requirements of
the prerequisites files, which I have attached.

I have downloaded the sources of gcc-4.4.0 from -:

http://mirrors-usa.go-parts.com/gcc/releases/gcc-4.4.0/gcc-4.4.0.tar.gz

In it I have followed the instructions of the file-:
<source_folder>/INSTALL/prerequisites.html

I have all the tools installed for building gcc. Except for the MPFR
library. Actually my system installed MPFR library is ver 2.3.1 while
gcc4.4 needs version 2.3.2 (you can read the prerequisites.html in the
attachment).
So what I have done is that I have downloaded the sources of MPFR ver
2.3.2 and placed in the source folder of gcc4.4 under a folder named
"mpfr"

The instructions say that if MPFR is found in a folder within the gcc
source folder it will automatically be built. So thats what I have
done.

Next comes the config.log(I have attached it). I have gone through it
and some parts worry me as they may be causing this error of make.

Check line 150, maybe it cannot find the g++ compiler.

Anyways I need help to solve this error. I cannot upgrade my OS since
I need this specific one. Any help would be appreciated.

Let me know if any data is required.

Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty

Attachment: prerequisites.txt
Description: Text document

Attachment: config.log
Description: Binary data


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]