Does g++ really need to compile main, if c++ code is involved?

Hello there!

We have a big bunch of C and C++ code in our product and compile
main with g++, because I read in

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/overview-mixing-langs.html

that this is needed.

Can we get rid of this condition? For example by not
using exceptions, which are not caught and not using global/static
non pod variables and not using class wide non pod variables?

I tried to find answers to that, by searching this mailing list
and the internet in general, but didn't find anything. Most
people don't seem to be aware of that "compile main with c++-compiler"
rule. If I missed some resource, please excuse.

Yours sincerely,

Eric Wolf