Re: Problem updating gcc 4.6.2 under Fedora16

On 1 December 2012 10:32, Daniel Tsen wrote:
> Hi, everybody.
>  I'm using Fedora 16, with gcc-4.6.2 and I want to update it to 4.7.0
> or higher. However, when I use 'yum update gcc.i686' command, it can
> only update 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 automatically. Could anyone tell me why and
> how could I update  to 4.7.0 by yum ? I stick to yum, cause it's
> really convenient.

This is a question about Fedora, not GCC, so you should be asking on a
Fedora list or forum because the GCC project doesn't decide what
packages are available for Fedora.

The answer to your question is that Fedora 16 and all its packages are
built with GCC 4.6 and that's the only version in the F16
repositories.  To get GCC 4.7 via yum you'd need to upgrade to F17
(which uses 4.7) or find a third-party yum repo containing GCC 4.7

Alternatively, you could build and install GCC yourself from source,
as described at http://gcc.gnu.org/InstallingGCC, but you probably
don't want to replace the system compiler from Fedora. Instead you
should install it to a different location such as /usr/local or /opt
or under $HOME