Re: Front end development question

Josh Reese <jreeseue@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I am working on a front end for GCC (and recently asked a question about the same front end). I have managed to compile and install my skeleton language but when I pass a file into gcc with my languages suffix the only thing that appears to happen is repeated calls to lang_specific_driver() in my spec.c file followed by an 'error: vfork: Operation timed out'. My lang_specific_driver() procedure is empty:
>
> void lang_specific_driver (struct cl_decoded_option **in_decoded_options,
>                       unsigned int *in_decoded_options_count,
>                       int *in_added_libraries ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED) {
> }
>
> I've looked at several other front ends procedures to get some idea about what might be going wrong but I can't seem to find any problem here. What could be causing this procedure to happen multiple times and then crash? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How are you invoking your new frontend?

Try running your driver with the -v option to see what it is trying to
do when it gets the vfork error.

Looking at libiberty/pex-unix.c, I think there is a minor bug there:
when vfork fails consistently it does not return the correct errno
value.  That is probably why you are seeing the otherwise
incomprehensible "Operation timed out" error.

Ian