This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: help needed for builing gcc tool-chain
-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lance Taylor [mailto:iant@google.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:24 AM
To: Prashant Batra (prbatra)
Cc: Jonathan Wakely; gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: help needed for builing gcc tool-chain
"Prashant Batra (prbatra)" <prbatra@cisco.com> writes:
> /usr/bin/ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots
...
> Do, I need to build binutils with sysroot as well, and install it into
> the same prefix?
>
This is necessary if you want to use a sysroot.
> If yes, after building and installing binutils, how do I make use of
> this linker while building gcc?
If you build and install the binutils and gcc with the same --prefix
option, then gcc will use the linker that you built.
[Prashant] Now I did,
../binutils-2.21/configure
--prefix=/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/
--with-sysroot=/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/sysroo
t/
make
make install
../gcc-4.1.2/configure
--prefix=/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/
--with-sysroot=/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/sysroo
t --enable-languages=c,c++,objc
make
It fails at the same point : /usr/bin/ld: this linker was not configured
to use sysroots
As, I can see binutls are properly installed at -
prbatra@bgl-mitg-dev56:/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/objd
ir$ ls /auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/
bin include lib lib64 share sysroot x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
prbatra@bgl-mitg-dev56:/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/objd
ir$ ls /auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/bin
addr2line ar as c++filt elfedit gprof ld ld.bfd nm objcopy
objdump ranlib readelf size strings strip
prbatra@bgl-mitg-dev56:/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/objd
ir$ ls
/auto/nobackup-bgl-mitg-dev56/prbatra/fresh2/build/x86_64-unknown-linux-
gnu
bin include lib lib64 libexec
Is it that I missed something again?
Ian