This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: new to GCC


On 10/27/2011 11:28 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
I would like ( at my late age of 68 ) to learn more about computing and since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
system. I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files. Is there a site or a publication that would tell me what to download and how to install. When I was in college we only had punch cards.


Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

Albert

I'm pushing 73 and still enjoy programming and learning more about computing.


A good starting point would be for you to tell us what platform you wish to do this on. For example, most Linux distributions allow you to install gcc from their repositories.

BTW, my first computing class was about designing logic circuits. We learned about it using both transistors and vacuum tubes. Punch cards were a step forward for me.

--Bob


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]