This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: new to GCC


> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
> since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when
> I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
> publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.
> When I was in college we only had punch cards.
>
> Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

No, it's pretty cool.

I still have a DEC VT220 terminal in my server room. Works great.

So the real issue here is what OS are you running? You see, you can
generally get GCC ready to run on a whole whack of operating systems. I
have no clue how people do things on Windows but at least in the
Linux/UNIX world things are fairly easy.

So I hope you have Linux.

If not then someone else has to chime in on the Windows situation.

Dennis





-- 
--
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]