Re: __sync_fetch_and_add_4 in libstdc++

2011/9/29 Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/29 Maciej (Matchek) BliziÅski:
>>
>> I have an update on the issue. ÂI raised this topic at the OpenCSW
>> summit last week in Kiel[1]. ÂThe need to compile for sparcv8 and i386
>> comes from OpenCSW supporting Solaris 9. ÂHowever, Oracle is soon
>> dropping support for Solaris 9, and we'll follow by changing the
>> support level from full to best effort.
>
> So Solaris 9 actually works on i386?!? ÂOr is that just what your
> current minimum happens to be?
>
> In case it's not clear, by i386 I do not mean x86 family, I mean the
> 80386, which Wikipedia tells me had a maximum clock rate of 40MHz.
>
> "Before you can deploy Solaris, you must make sure your system can
> handle it. At a minimum, your system should have a Pentium processor
> running at 133 Mhz. Solaris recommends that the system run at least
> 500 Mhz."
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/preparing-to-install-solaris-9-on-an-intel-server/5056145
>
> "Minimum system requirements are as follows: Pentium CPU (PII is
> better - see below) "
> http://www.parkansky.com/tutorials/bdlogsol.htm#install
>
> Even if it technically runs (which the www tells me it doesn't), do
> you have any OpenCSW users on i386 or are you crippling the software
> to support non-existent users?

Um... yes, we are!

The original discussion predates my involvement in the project, so I
can't report accurately why building for 386 is the policy.  I think
it also was Solaris 8 that the policy was set for.  The Solaris 8
hardware compatibility table[1] lists Pentium as the lowest Intel
processor it runs on, so I agree that setting 386 as the base
instruction set is not necessary.

I'm guilty of disrupting the consensus at OpenCSW multiple times
already, so I need to be careful when questioning yet another element
of the packaging policy.  At least for the GCC package and all its
dependencies, I've got dispensation to build for Pentium Pro.

Maciej

[1] http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19455-01/806-1054/6jac8mmsb/index.html