This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: (correction) gcc 4.6.1 for arm-eabi wants to use the system's as instead of arm-eabi-as


30.9.2011 1:18, Rob Emanuele kirjoitti:

I'm building a naked gcc c compiler to build newlib.  The compiler,
arm-eabi-gcc, when compiling anything tries to use "as" instead of
"arm-eabi-as".

This is a new behavior as I didn't experience this using gcc 4.3.3.

I have never seen the '$target-as' (for humans) being used by GCC, what you claim would be really "new behaviour" !

$ cd /home/me/tools_test/build/binutils

$ ../../binutils/configure --prefix=/home/me/tools_test/toolchain/
--target=arm-eabi --disable-werror

$ cd /home/me/tools_test/build/naked-gcc

$ ../../gcc/configure
--prefix=/home/me/tools_test/build/naked-gcc-chain --target=arm-eabi
--without-headers --enable-languages="c" --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as
--with-newlib

The $prefix and $target values SHOULD be the same for both binutils and GCC configures, then GCC would find its aimed '$prefix/$target/bin/as' ! And the human user would get the '$prefix/bin/$target-as' in use if ever needed..

$ arm-eabi-gcc test.c
as: unrecognized option '-meabi=5'

So, how do I ensure it uses the correct "as" which for me should be
"arm-eabi-as".

With sane configures you would get what you need, of course the $prefix is common for the whole toolchain: binutils, GCC and possibly GDB too!


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]