ISA mismatch (-mips2) with previous modules (-mips3) on PS2Linux

Hi Guys I'm trying to upgrade GCC on the default PS2Linux and its
proving somewhat problematic.

By default the PS2Linux comes with gcc 2.95.2 and I am after even a
slight upgrade (3.0.3). binutils is also 2.9

As I understand it I need to upgrade binutils first. I am using these packages
binutils http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files/Sony%20Linux%20Toolkit/Package%20Update%20Files/binutils/
gcc http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/files/Sony%20Linux%20Toolkit/Package%20Update%20Files/gcc/

because as I believe it they needed some tweeking to work on the PS2Linux.

however after installing binutils I am no longer able to compile
programs I get a linker error.

/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccJpc4xp.o: ISA mismatch (-mips2) with previous
modules (-mips3)
Bad value: failed to merge target specific data of file /tmp/ccJpc4xp.o

Full output of compile : http://pastie.org/2278742

I've tried using the -mips3 flag but that just results in more errors

Error: illegal operands ...

Phil CK