This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: sys/types.h not found building libiberty during GCC 4.6.x bootstrap for embedded PowerPC target
- From: "R. Diez" <rdiezmail-gcc at yahoo dot de>
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:21:47 +0100 (BST)
- Subject: Re: sys/types.h not found building libiberty during GCC 4.6.x bootstrap for embedded PowerPC target
- Reply-to: rdiezmail-gcc at yahoo dot de
> [...] Or you can continue the procedure you are
> using, but run "make all-gcc" and "make install-gcc"
> for the first phase.
This advice worked, many thanks. And it not only works with 4.6.1 , it works with the older 4.5.3 too.
> [...] "make all-gcc", but your make command appear to be
> trying to build all of gcc before newlib has been built.
I'm finding it difficult to build GCC cross-compilers. There is advice and patches all over the place, often for outdated GCC versions. I am sure I did not come up with the old "make" and "make install" method for the bootstrap phase myself, I must have found it somewhere, and it did work with 4.5.3 and some other older versions. Something must have changed in the meantime.
Is there a "canonical" way to build GCC cross-compilers? Or some place to find the "right" information for a given version? The information under http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html is not enough, and I didn't have much luck on the newlib website either.
Where can I find information about makefile targets like the "all-gcc" or "install-gcc" you mentioned? I tried "make help" to no avail. They're not mentioned under http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ either.
Thanks again,
R. Diez