This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Linking against shared objects that reside at different paths on link-time versus runtime?


On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 June 2011 17:24, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rename it to libbar.so and link to it with "-L/foo -lbar" instead of
>> giving an absolute path to the .so
>
> Actually I think I've misremembered how it works, you might need to
> create bar.so using -soname=bar.so so that ldd will only make it
> depend on "bar.so" not the absolute path to the file, and will search
> for it in the usual locations.

Thanks, unfortunately `bar.so` is a closed-source binary, and `-L/foo
-lbar` fails.

Is there a way to know which `-soname` `bar.so` was assigned?  Maybe
it's just different from `bar`, and if I just `-l<actual bar.so name>`
I'd be OK?

>> Use an RPATH, e.g. link with -Wl,-rpath,'/baz:$ORIGIN/..' will make it
>> look in /baz then in ..

Thanks, but I take your answer to mean that I can't link relative to a
runtime target's environment variable (e.g. `$HOME`)?

Thanks, D.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]