This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Inline Assembly, MOV, and Memory Operand Constraint


On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 15/06/11 08:25, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a question on inline assembly. For my first experiment, I'm
>> trying to read the flags register. Intuitively, I'm trying to perform
>> the following:
>> ? ? mov %eax, result
>>
>> The assembler does not take the simple syntax (see [1], [2]), andI'm
>> having trouble getting the statement right. I've tried lots of
>> variations on the following, but have yet to find success.
>> ? ? unsigned int result;
>> ? ? ...
>> ? ? asm volatile("mov %eax, result" : "=m(result)");
>
> Should be
>
> unsigned int result;
>
> void ping() {
> ?asm volatile("mov %%eax, %0" : "=m"(result));
> }
>
Thanks Andrew - that was it. I thought I tried that variation (perhaps
I did not use %%eax).

Jeff


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]